Monday, August 11, 2014

Family is more important than "things"

Daniel's turn. Two "time-ins" today, how unusual.

School starts next Wednesday and today marks 4 weeks in to our Family Intervention Program. Brad and I talked about it and decided that we would ease the kids into being with other people again by sending them to a small local day camp. They know everyone there and have been going to their summer day camp for a couple of years now, 2-3 times a week. Of course the Family Intervention Program (FIP) put an end to that, because, as Dr. Federici says, "Family is the curative agent."

I decided on a 3 hour stint this afternoon so I could get some writing time in and they could get some peer time in. Daniel and Loreli took the dogs out and as I watched them come back home, I saw Daniel fall to the ground and burst into tears. I asked Loreli to help him inside and she held his hand as they came in--yay Loreli! I sat down on the floor with him and asked him what was going on and he said he had twisted his ankle and didn't want to go to camp. Hmmm. I asked why and he said it was too loud. I said, "Well that is definitely true! But today when you go you'll be arriving at quiet time. What comes after quiet time, do you know?" He said it was play-time then outside recess with popsicles.

I felt something was off--there was an element of truth to this whole thing but another part of me said something wasn't as it seemed. Then it occurred to me. "If you stay home you won't have iPad time. You only earn 30 minutes of TV a day, there isn't any more." He looked at me in shock, "I can't watch my iPad?" Ah ha! "You haven't watched your iPad in a month, we are on the FIP, what makes you think you can now?"

"But I hurt my ankle." (When they are actually sick and stay home from school, I let them have iPads.)

"There are no bones poking out, it's not bleeding, and it's not swollen. I think it will be just fine. I can put some essential oils on it to make it feel better if you'd like."

There was much back and forth, with him trying to negotiate. I realized that I was in a no-win negotiation with a 7 year old! No! Going by my gut, I finally told him that he was going. I talked to him about how I have to sometimes deal with loud noises too (I'm very sensitive to noise and too many people) but it helps me if I can get used to it little bits at a time. We also talked about how to make friends, which I think he might need help with. As a fellow introvert, I get this too. We have to practice these things! 

I'm still not sure if this all was a correct way to handle it. Maybe he just needs more time with us before he feels secure again? I followed his lead from the time he came home at 7 months to 5 years old when he decided he wanted to go to 5 day a week, full-time preschool, not be homeschooled. He tends to quietly soak life in and then head out into the world when he's ready. At 5 he was ready. Looking back at this all now, I think that maybe I should have just kept him with me that day. He will tell me when he's ready. 

Hindsight and all that jazz.

Anyway--he came through the whole thing just fine and was happy to go at the end. His ankle miraculously healed as soon as I put some essential oils on it and all was well. When I went to pick him up he was happily playing with some other boys and went out of his way to say goodbye to another boy. The teacher made a point of telling me that since it's the end of the summer the kids are wild and no longer listening but both of my kids helped to clean up when asked and did more than their share. YAY!

This evening before dinner Daniel had another meltdown. He was looking in a toy catalog and found a Matchbox racetrack that he wanted. Then he remembered he had a smaller set, somewhere from long ago. A big hunt followed but ended in tears when the set couldn't be found. Oh the sadness! "We have to go buy another one right now!"

I got into a small back and forth argument before I realized what needed to be done. A time-in is sitting closely with the kid, joining them in their trauma ("Gosh, you really seem upset about this! Tell me more about it."), waiting until they get it all out of their system, and then talking about the real issues when they are calm. I can do this easier with Loreli, I'm used to it and her stuff is somehow often easier for me because she is furious and verbal. Daniel is mad, pathetic, and sad and I just want to make it better. When I ask him though he only says he's mad, frustrated, and disappointed.

So, I joined him in the mad and he told me all about it. When I asked him to tell me more he would come up with new ways to say he was angry. For the first time ever he threatened to run away. Of course I didn't take that seriously but I did say that we don't threaten in this family. "Running away doesn't solve anything." Ah yes, such a lesson for me there! Hello avoidance behavior! I sure thought it solved things with my first husband when I left. But, haha, that relationship came back in the form of Loreli. Nope, running away doesn't solve anything. And threatening such a thing is just a plain no-no.

Eventually, as I was feeling my way through, my Inner Voice said to ask him about toys equaling love. His response was practically a yelled WELL YEAH! Duh Mom, kind of response. We've been working on this for the past month because Brad and I really fell down on the parenting job when Loreli came home. Luckily in the 18 months that we had just him with us I think we did a pretty good job but when Loreli came home...our lives came crashing down around us and we all suffered. I hate to say it but looking back on it I feel like I said, "Here's TV, an iPad, and a sister. Good luck." and then I retreated into depression, anger, isolation, and grief.

That may seem very matter of fact when you read it but let me tell you I sobbed my way through that realization a month ago. Every time I realized what I had done to him I would burst into tears.

And so, Daniel has learned that "things" equal love and now I get to work on reversing this thing I unwittingly taught him.

SUUUUUUCKS.

He moaned and growled his way through toys-equal-love for awhile and when he calmed a little I listened to my Inner Voice once more and said, "Is there anything else that you can think of that might make you feel loved? Do hugs and kisses make you feel loved? Snuggling or tickling?"

"NO!" and the rant about how he wanted the new car track continued with me going along with him saying, "Holy smokes, you are MAD!"

He calmed again and this time he wanted to show me the catalog and some of his favorite things in it. I said, "Oh, I wish I could, but boy you get so angry when you look at those things. I just don't know if that's a good idea."

"Well, if I get mad again, I'll just take a deep breath and calm down."

"If you tell me one thing, besides me buying you "things" that helps you feel loved, I'll look at one thing in the catalog."

He said, "Okay, well you were right, I feel loved when you hug and kiss me."

We looked at a toy in the catalog. When he started to go to a different page I asked him to tell me another thing that helps him feel loved. "When you tickle me."

"Like this!?" and the game was on. Armpits, under his chin, ribs, knees--I had him giggling and wriggling all over the floor.

When we were done he said, "I'm sorry Mom."

"Thank you. It's okay, sometimes that stuff has to come out."

After shower time Daniel asked that we read the posters out loud again. They are our family mantras, kid's goals, Crazy Town vs. Familyland, and the dos and don'ts of day-to-day life. The kids helped me create them and they are hanging in our hallway upstairs. We read them everyday. Daniel said, "Read the one that says 'Family is more important than things.'"

So we read through everything and then did them all again at their request. I got out a pen and paper and we came up with words for a new poster that we will make tomorrow, "Ways we feel loved."

I spent a lot of time feeling my way through those time-ins today but when he said, "Read that one that says 'Family is more important than things.'"--well, I knew we had arrived at a whole new level. This FIP is difficult but the rewards make it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment