Saturday, October 11, 2014

Souls ready to cross over


On Monday I had the honor of being in the presence of two horses who crossed to the other side.

Cali

Cali was a pretty, grey, 21 year old mare who had cancer. This summer she contracted VS (Vesicular Stomatitis), a virus whose symptoms are painful and take weeks to heal. Cali’s system was already compromised by cancer and the VS never fully cleared. Her owners are friends of mine, a mother and her teenage daughter, and they fought hard for Cali, never giving up, always at the barn to feed her special food (VS leaves painful ulcers on the tongue) and give her extra love. But last week the cancer had spread further and left Cali tired, in pain, and ready to go. When I saw Cali, the feeling I got from her was peaceful about going but sadness for her girls.

The vet administered the first bit of sedation and Cali’s humans hugged her, kissed her, and said their goodbyes. The mother said, “Secretariat is just waiting for you Cali, he’s waiting for ‘the pretty grey filly’ to come home.” Sob...Mother and daughter wanted to remember Cali as she was so they left after the first sedation. After the second sedation Cali went down easily, a constant prayer for me since it can be traumatic.

I was sitting on the ground at Cali’s head as she crossed over. I noticed the crown of her head was hot. I felt other areas of her upper body, her neck, face, ears, shoulder, everything else was a normal temperature.

The second horse to go was Metro. His owners were too sad to see him go so they said goodbye the day before. Metro, like Cali, was a racehorse in his day. He was somewhere between 26 and 29 years old! He had a bowed tendon that, at his age, couldn’t be fixed. I grazed him while I waited for the vet to arrive. I have a friend who was at the barn earlier who said she and Metro had talked a bit before I got there. She was crying in his stall and telling him she was so sorry when Metro piped up with, “Why? I know my soul is eternal.” Sweet boy.

Metro too, went down easily, and while sitting on the ground with him I noticed that the crown of his head was hot too! What an interesting development. These are only the second and third horses I’ve been with while they crossed so I don’t yet know if this is normal but all I could think of was that their souls were leaving through their crown chakra. (A friend later told me that Buddhists believe this.) I’ve been with several dogs as they crossed but that wasn’t something I noticed. I’ll be sure to pay attention from now on.

Earlier this year I had the experience of Luke crossing, soon after a friend of a friend had a dog that she wanted me to talk to and do some Reiki with, to see if she was ready to go. The very next day another friend’s dog, Keegan, a cousin of my Onya, suddenly went down hill and I raced to Denver to be with them as he made the transition. I’m sad to see them go for sure, sad for those who are left behind and cry when it happens but somehow, when it all comes down to the end, all I can think of is that it’s a new beginning.



This spring I was asked by hospice to come do Reiki with a patient. I’ve never seen anyone in hospice before, it was eye opening. That night the patient crossed over. The next day the caseworker called to console me but honestly, I was so happy for the woman!

At the barn the vet asked, “How does it keep happening that you are here Julia?” I told her that I ask the owners if I can be there with them (especially if the owners can’t be). I want to do it. I’m thankful that I can and I feel honored to share those last moments with them.

If you ever need support during a loved ones crossing, give me a call, I’m happy to be there with you or in your place if you aren't able. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment