Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Run with horses


I went to the farm on Monday and Rayn and I played clicker games and ran all around the pasture together. So much fun. Today it was raining and I almost didn't go out because of it but changed my mind at the last moment thinking--60 degrees and rain might equal fewer flies.

What a morning! Rayn came right to me and James followed her. I learned my lesson long ago--only give treats to Rayn, not all the horses or they will hound me the whole time I'm visiting that day. Today Rayn and I walked away from the group and James and Remi peeled off the herd and followed us. When Rayn and I started to run together, James and Remi trotted along behind us. At one point Rayn had a little spook and I looked back and the boys were running toward us. I heard pounding and realized the whole herd had started toward us from across the pasture. They met up with our little group and settled in after a lot of swirling around and greeting each other.

Rayn and I wandered off a bit and she wanted to run again. We took off running and the whole herd followed, when we got to the far end of the pasture everyone was so excited that there was a lot of squealing and bucking and rearing--including River rearing right in front of me! Wow, they are REALLY high in the air when they do that! I put my hand up while thinking, "Easy now, that's both exciting and scary for me." and he came right back down to all fours and trotted off to play with someone who understood him better than a silly two-legged :-)  I imagine if this continues that rearing won't be so intimidating.

Rayn and I started running in the opposite direction and again, the whole herd followed, streaming past us, wet manes flowing and tails flagged. Rayn stopped when I did, arched her neck, and danced next to me, both wanting her treat and wanting to run. I gave her a treat and said, "Go!" and she ran like the wind to try to catch up with the herd. I've never seen her in a full out gallop before! Beautiful!

I wandered around to the other side of the pasture and back to the herd. There is a pond and wetland area that bisects the pasture so it took some time to get back. I watched from afar as several horses went down in the mud for a good roll and the rest pranced around, still excited from the run.

I called to Rayn when I got closer. She and five other horses came to me and after some trotting around the five went running back to the rest of the group. Rayn stayed with me, so close we were nearly touching and it occurred to me that she might be offering help. I had been picking my way through the mud, trying not to fall. I put my hand on her back and she stayed with me the whole way, walking slowly by my side. I stopped to give her a treat and then said, "Ok, let's walk." and she continued to stay with me. What a sweet girl. I've not had her offer her help like that before.

I've ridden galloping horses and I've run with horses. Running with them is so much more fun :-) I thanked the herd, repeatedly, for playing with me and drove home with a huge smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment