Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Cycle of Abuse

At 20 I married for the first time and at 28 I left that abusive marriage. If you are unfamiliar with the cycle of abuse it looks like this:



Not all relationships follow the same cycle, and individual experiences vary, some stages - especially the honeymoon or calm periods, may shorten or be left out completely, especially as the abuse intensifies over a period of time.

TENSION BUILDING -

-Tension starts and steadily builds
-Abuser starts to get angry
-Communication breaks down
-Victim feels the need to concede to the abuser
-Tension becomes too much
-Victim feels uneasy and a need to watch every move 

INCIDENT or "Acting Out" phase

-Any type of abuse occurs
-Physical
-Sexual
-Emotional 

HONEYMOON or Reconciliation phase 

-Abuser apologizes for abuse, some beg forgiveness or show sorrows
-Abuser may promise it will never happen again
-Blames victim for provoking the abuse or denies abuse occurred
-Minimizing, denying or claiming the abuse wasn't as bad as victim claims

CALM before the tension starts again. 

-Abuses slow or stop
-Abuser acts like the abuse never happened
-Promises made during honeymoon stage may be met
-Abuser may give gifts to victim
-Victim believes or wants to believe the abuse is over or the abuser will change
-(Often the cycle of violence is portrayed as 3 steps: tension, acting out and honeymoon phases, where the Honeymoon and Calm phase are seen as one.)

I'm fully aware that this isn't something Loreli is purposely doing, it's her trauma speaking. If you have a child with a trauma background then you may understand this cycle. If you don't, then the whole idea of your child being abusive might seem a bit unbeliLorelible. I understand. I have experienced it and it seems incredible to me too.

One day recently, I was thinking about my life with Loreli and the term, "walking on eggshells" came to mind. I had a visceral reaction to that term so I stopped and thought about it.

Walking on eggshells...walking on eggshells...

Oh. The last time I said that about something in my life was when I was married to my first husband. That's when it clicked, the cycle of abuse. The Tension period where I am just waiting for a meltdown to happen, where I am walking on eggshells and trying like crazy to not set Loreli off.

The Acting Out period where she would flip out and, more recently, looked like she was going to hit me. The sheer fury in her eyes is scary and she occasionally swings her arms around while she's yelling. It was escalating. The Honeymoon period where she was sweet as pie, even if it was an affected sweetness, she would hug me, be super helpful, do things she knew I would like. In my world the Honeymoon and Calm periods were the same thing. Then it would start all over again.

So, on Tuesday when she said, "No! And you can't make me!" It again set off a fear of the cycle that I’ve experienced with Loreli since she’s been home and that I experienced for 8 years with my first husband. The only reason it stopped in my marriage was because I left. We've been experiencing this with Loreli for nearly 5 years--even during the "good time" when Rayn came home 2 years ago. I might have continued on in that semi-good way forever if it hadn't been for her abrupt change in behavior at the end of the school year. Since no one is leaving this family, I'm stuck. There can be a lot of depression around that. I'm stuck, with a child who is abusive, even if it is unintentionally.

But that's not true is it? I have this Family InterventionProgram. I have Brad, who is 100% on board. My family, even though they are far away, are also 100% on board. I have training about how to handle abuse now. How to deflect physical abuse. How to safely and comfortably (for both of us) restrain a child who is being outright defiant and out-of-control. I have the horses who, when asked, give me answers and healing. I also have this amazing EGCM coaching program I'm part of. I'm in a constant coaching position with Loreli, nearly 24/7. It's exhausting but I'm learning so much.

So when talking to my Mom this morning the full realization was: I can stop that abuse cycle now, with Loreli, where I couldn't with my first husband. I'm not stuck. Dr. Federici and Handle With Care recommends the passive restraint when a child is being emotionally/physically abusive or defiant/out of control. I had hoped to not do it. I still hope to not do it. I know it doesn't hurt, I've had it done to me repeatedly (and I'm claustrophobic) and I restrained my partner in class. Neither of us were hurt in the slightest and it wasn't scary at all.

I took the doctor's advice and told the kids about it today. I showed Loreli what it was and what it felt like and she giggled her way through it. I said, "Okay, now pretend you're really mad." There must be a lot of mad simmering in there because she had NO problem with that one. When she found she couldn't get loose though I said, "What does that feel like to you?" She said, "It's okay". Daniel piped up with, "Do me now!" So I showed him the little kid modified version. They both kept saying, "Do it again!" which I thought was pretty interesting. I asked again, "What does it feel like to you?"

"Kind of like a big hug." Huh. There are probably some sensory issues there...

We finally stopped rolling around on the floor and I had them sit next to me. I explained when this might be used. Hitting parents. They both looked properly horrified. Outright defiance like saying, "NO! I won't! And you can't make me!" I looked at Loreli and said, "Remember the other day when you said, ‘No! And you can't make me!’?” Loreli looked at me in shock and said, "I SAID that?"

Wow.

No wonder they call this program "reality training". I've heard that if parents record their kid in a meltdown and show it to them later when they are calm, the kid doesn't recognize themselves in the recording. They deny that it's them. I wonder, where do our kids go when they are in meltdown mode? Are they somewhere else, stuck in the trauma that was inflicted on them?

I'll think about it from my perspective. I had an abusive first marriage. Now, when Loreli triggers me because she is treating me in a similar way that my first husband did, I respond (unintentionally) in the way that I did back then. I withdraw. I try to make peace. I allow it to happen.

It's taken me 5 LONG YEARS to figure it out.

I can stop the cycle.

Loreli is not my ex-husband. She is a little girl who needs help, healing, love. I CAN do this. In the process I start healing a hurt I thought I was over. In the process the whole family heals.




No comments:

Post a Comment